Cardiac rehab is an individualized program of exercise and education to help patients with heart disease obtain an optimal state of health. Our staff works with each patient and their physician to develop an individualized plan of care. The program at CMH is certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular & Pulmonary Rehabilitation.
Who can participate in cardiac rehab?
A physician referral is required, but in general, patients are eligible to participate if they have or have had:
- Angioplasty or stent placement
- Balloon procedure
- Bypass surgery
- Established diagnosis of Coronary Artery (heart) Disease
- Heart attack
- Heart transplant
- Valve repair or replacement
About our cardiac rehab program
The length of the program varies depending on the participant's diagnosis, abilities and progression in the program, which consists of exercise, education and risk factor modification. Participants are provided with an exercise regime prescribed by their physician and supervised by registered nurses.
Cardiac rehabilitation is often divided into phases that involve monitored exercise, nutritional counseling, emotional support, and support and education about lifestyle changes to reduce your risks of heart problems. The goal is to help you regain strength, prevent your condition from worsening and reduce your risk of future heart problems.
Safety is our highest priority. During exercise, your heart rhythm and heart rate are constantly monitored through a telemetry transmitter by your cardiac rehab team members. Emergency equipment and cardiac-trained personnel are on hand to deal with any unusual issue that could occur. An emergency physician is also available.
What to expect
- Exercise and educational programs conducted by registered nurses with experience in cardiac rehabilitation, cardiac care and emergency care
- Team includes a physician(s), respiratory therapist, dietitian and pharmacist
- Exercise equipment, which includes motor-driven treadmills, NuStep, hand and leg weights, plus other equipment
Cardiac rehab can help you reach your goals
- Weight training
- Aerobic exercise
- Weight management
- Cholesterol control
- Quitting smoking
- Diabetes control
- Eating healthy
- Stress management
- High blood pressure control
- Taking medications (as needed)
For more information, call (563) 578-2159. Cardiac rehab is available Monday, Wednesday and Friday.